Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Left 4 Dead: First Impressions

So thanks to my buddy Wilson I finally got my hands on Valves new Zombie survival horror game Left 4 Dead. Some how I had been very patient while waiting for this game...but after spending a few hours on it, I can't believe the gem I now have.

Ever wished a zombie outbreak would happen so that you can live out your fantasy of what it might be like to survive it? Hiding, finding safe and secure places to hold out...working with other survivors to insure you own safety. Well that's exactly what you get to do here.

There are a few zombie survival horror games out there. But a lot of them require you to do things like solve a puzzle here... stop an evil corporation there. But Left 4 Dead gives you but one purpose...it hands you a gun and says "Just try and Survive what's coming."


And that's what it's all about. There's a zombie outbreak, all that you have come to know has been changed forever. Now try and get out of here before you become a painful meal for something un-dead.

Don't worry though...You're not alone,as you get to play through the game with three of your close buds, and trust me.. you need your friends on this one.

The main purpose of Left 4 Dead is to serve as a kick ass multi-player game, though you can play by your self with the help of some bots.

Now as I'm writing this, I'm wondering where would be a good place to mention 'that I F**ing love this game" I think I'll just leave it there for now.

Right from the exciting opening video, that leads you to a roof top where you start your fight for survival, the game immediately gives you the feel of a classic zombie movie. The sounds, the environment... this thing makes you the star of your own little zombie movie.

I really got so into this, instead of running around like mad shooting everything, I was actually taking my time and walking around. Listening to every sound...mindful of every shadow. It was so creepy simply walking around and hearing the moan of the zombies around the corner.


The zombies in the game range from your classic stumbling Romero style zombies, to the Danny Boyle 28 Days Later kind of screaming, rushing zombies. But to mix things up a bit, there are several other breeds of zombies that make the game a little more interesting. Things that can leap along walls and pounce on you... or creeps that can grab you with their long tongues. These elite zombies are harder to take down, and if you don't have friends near by, surviving an attack by one of these things can prove to be very tricky.

The real bad ass ones so far are these huge monster like zombies called Tanks, that come rushing at you and just totally destroying whatever gets in their way. Then they have these little girl zombies called Witches that sit around in dark corners... and you can hear them crying when you get close to them, but if you leave them alone, they'll do the same for you. Hearing them whimper in the dark totally spooks me out.


To be honest I'm too much in aw to be writing anything about this game right now... my mind is just too numb and wants to get back to the action.

Let me just say that this is everything I could hope for in a zombie shooter. As far as games go, this might not be the most amazing or ground breaking. But for a Zombie nut such as my self...this thing plays like a dream come true.

Be sure to pick this bad boy up if your looking for a new game to kick some time with.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...