Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Off Topic: Frank Frazetta 1928-2010

I was sad to hear that yesterday one of my favourite artists of all time passed away.

Frank Frazetta, one of the great artists who defined the look of savage sword and fantasy, passed away at the age of 82. No cause of death has been put out yet, but he had been sick for some time having suffering from several strokes over the years.

The first time I was introduced to his work was through his involvement in the 1983 rotoscoped film Fire and Ice. I watched that movie to bits, and would spend hours just scribbling out the imagery in it.

Then I went mad for his art when I started getting into Conan, and became fascinated by his awesome Conan covers. To me he his vision of my favourite Cimmerian was the defining interpretation, and most every other artist that followed on Conan would pull from his powerful images. His Conan is what I see in my head when I read the stories.

If you do a Google search of Frazetta's name, it will bring you to a lot of his work, but if you'd like more of an "In depth" look, be sure to check out Frazetta: Painting with Fire which is an awesome doucumentry on his life and work.

Frank Frazetta was a great artist who has left us a massive legacy in his amazing work, and he will be dearly missed.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...